At least three people are dead, including a three-year-old child, after an earthquake and aftershock struck Bali in the early hours of Saturday morning.
The magnitude 4.8 quake was centred 62 kilometres northeast of Singaraja, a Bali port town, according to the US Geological Survey.
Its shallow depth of 10km may have amplified the amount of damage, and the aftershock of 4.3 magnitude which followed was relatively deep at 282km.
Among the three confirmed casualties was a three-year-old girl who was struck by falling debris in Karangasem, which was closest to the epicentre, The Associated Press reported.
Two other people were killed when a landslide, triggered by the earthquake, buried their home in Bangli regency.
There have been reports of buildings, such as homes, temples and government buildings, being destroyed in Karangasem, Trunyan and in Kintamani.
Gede Darmada, head of the island’s Search and Rescue Agency said there had been injuries such as broken bones and head wounds, however the agency was still collecting updates regarding damage and casualties.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) Asia Pacific said on Twitter Indonesian Red Cross is on the ground helping people and providing relief.
In a video shared to social media, people are seen running from buildings as the ground begins the shake.
“The quake was felt strongly for five seconds,” disaster agency spokesman Abdul Muhari said, according to AFP.
“People were panicking and ran from their houses when the quake hit.”
Indonesia, a vast archipelago of 270 million people, is frequently struck by earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and tsunamis because of its location on the “Ring of Fire” – an arc of volcanoes and fault lines that arcs the Pacific.
The last major earthquake was in January when a magnitude 6.2 earthquake killed at least 105 people and injured nearly 6500.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.